Last Thursday morning I hurt my back lugging the vacuum cleaner up and down the stairs (there's a lesson here folks), so had to spend the day standing up......a perfect excuse to do some more work on the Griffon head. I was shocked when I looked back through my documentation, to see that I haven't touched it (except to move it a couple of times) since last July! Then we had that incredible heatwave a couple months ago and the poor thing was literally melting....the original horns fell off along with an ear and oil was leaching out of the clay. So, some re-working was definitely needed. I ended up working on it all day Thursday and again Friday. It's evolving fairly significantly from the original drawing I did, but I expected this to happen.....I don't often draw things out first as I think more clearly in three dimensions and prefer to work out problems in the sculpture as I go along. This piece needed some kind of plan however, mainly because of the size of it. It will be around seven feet tall when it's eventually finished. You can see more of the initial planning in my old blog archive on my website. Click here. There is something wonderfully freeing about sculpting something this big.....of course down the track there will be much cursing and gnashing of teeth but, for the moment, bliss reigns.
Till next time.