Tuesday, July 7, 2009

"Spidergirl"....bondage Queen!




After a total disaster of a day yesterday, I'm so pleased that 'spidergirl' co-operated enough today for me to finish her. I spent six hours yesterday painting tattoo-like patterns all over her torso....but when it was finished I didn't like the effect at all. The idea for her is that she is the ultimate 'bondage' queen, being part spider and all, and I thought that tattoos would work well. Unfortunately, to me they distracted too much from the look I was after, making her look more feral and less sexy.....I'm not saying tattoos are feral, I LOVE tattoos, but they just weren't right on this piece. As soon as I dressed her in leather with the front lacing, I knew it was the right choice. Sometimes it's really hard to let go of something when you've put so much time into it, but I never would have been happy with her if I hadn't gone with my instincts. I'm very pleased with that lovely contrast of the very pale skin against the jet black spider body....you just know she doesn't see a lot of daylight!
So it's now just under five weeks until SALA (South Australian Living Artists) Festival. It feels a bit strange to not be having an exhibition....this is the first year in the past four that I haven't....but I am excited about having an 'Open Studio'. It's always great to meet and chat to people and most people really like to watch artists at work in their studios....I know I do! It's also nice not to have the pressure of having to produce so many pieces.....although I'm probably working harder now because I feel like I have to make up for all that time spent recovering from surgeries earlier in the year. Anyway, should be a great couple of weeks.....hope those of you who can drop in and say 'hi'.....would love to see you!
Till next time.

7 comments:

  1. She is quite wonderful. I love the hair style that matches the shape of the legs. The outfit is also super. Very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lorel! You ca[tired just the feeling you wanted with this piece. It's just wonderful! I can feel her nastiness ... She oozes control. Bondage is a great word to describe her.

    I wish I could come to your open studio and have a cup of tea.

    Pattee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post made my morning here in Cincinnati Ohio USA. I had hoped you were working away. I miss your posts. I know what you mean about watching how other artists work. My studio building does open studios four times a year. It is great fun for me to see how other artists follow the creative process. As for Spider Girl, she turned out great and following your instincts usually pays off. Thanks for sharing. You are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lorell, I love your work another beautiful piece.
    Debie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lorell!

    Usually I do not like spiders, but your spider girl is very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Es una maravilla!!!!!!!Felicidades, me ha encantado pasarme por tu blog.besitos desde EspaƱa.ascension

    ReplyDelete