Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Some news!.....(and monkeys).






Once again, despite my best efforts I have failed in my goal of blogging at least once a week. As a result, this post is going to be a bit all over the place as it's been a busy couple of weeks with several pieces of news I'd like to share.
The first is that I will be exhibiting at Imagine Gallery in the UK in October 2011. This is incredibly exciting for me and even though it seems like a very long time away, I have already begun making plans for pieces and will be working exclusively on these by the end of August this year. This is a beautiful and highly regarded gallery and I am honoured to have been invited to show my work there. You can visit John Foley's blog about gallery life by clicking here. I am hoping to travel over for the exhibition, so I hope that those of you who can will come along and make yourselves known. Final dates etc. are still to be determined, but I will keep you updated here and on the website.
I am also very happy to have been asked to customize a "Schaffa" for this years fundraising exhibition. The photo at the top of the page is the template that each artist receives, to do with what he will. No prizes for guessing the theme I'll be going with.......but we have been asked not to reveal the final design in its entirety until opening night (again, date not yet finalised), so all I'm giving away are these two early stage close-ups. The pieces will be auctioned for charity and exhibited here during the SALA Festival and then travelling around Australia. Very exciting!
Speaking of SALA, I will be having an open studio during the Festival, mainly to make people aware of my new location, but also to show some new pieces and of course some works in progress. I always enjoy chatting to visitors during this time, so I hope to see some of you here!
Over the past month I've also had a 'work experience' student from the local high school spending each Tuesday with me in the studio. Shannon is a very talented 15 year old who is interested in sculpture and digital art and she has been learning some skills here with me while working on her own projects. This has been a thoroughly enjoyable experience all round and the fact that Shannon has Asperger's syndrome has made it all the more rewarding to watch her achieve her goals and take pride in her work. I'm continually amazed at what a hard worker she is, ploughing on even when the work becomes repetitive and (dare I say) boring. I've taught many adults in the past who could learn a thing or two from this young girl's perseverance and commitment.
So all in all a busy few weeks! I'll be adding a 'news' page to my website soon, which will have all of the details of upcoming events as they are finalised.
The bottom two pictures were taken last week at Adelaide Zoo, a short but fun day with my friend Linda that was filled with mad scrambles for photographs, unwanted reflections, potato wedges, lizard vomit and beautiful animals who smugly turned their backs or disappeared entirely whenever we approached their enclosures. Out of the hundred or so shots I took, I was most pleased with these two.
Till next time.

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on the gallery exhibit. That is so totally awesome. I hope it goes well for you. Can't wait to see what you create.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you are being honored as you should be and what exciting news!
    Of course I can't wait till October to see what you are up to.

    Lovely that you are spending time with this gifted young woman.

    Are you close to Adelaide? My husband has relatives there... do you think I could convince him go??? : )

    Love~Pattee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lorell,
    Congratulations on the exhibition I know it will be amazing. How's the weather... We are freezing our butts off here in Hobart. It is snowing on Mt Wellington. Having a great time.
    Peta

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Lorell !

    it is always a pleasure to discover the work of other artists : i just saw the gallery where you will exhibit your work , thanks a lot , i saw so many wonderful sculptures, paints etc ...

    I wish you a lot of success, you deserve it !

    The monkeys are so sweet too ... thanks again !!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Lorell should I print a copy for them?
    : ) Pattee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lorell thank you for your kind words... maybe not the "sweetest" in the world tho : )

    SO you know of what I speak...ducks have such personalities and I just loved watching them... but yes they can be so aggressive... I guess I just didn't know.. but they are in a great place and that makes me feel better.

    Oh you are sending me a little package? You didn't have to... but it will be cherished for sure.

    Thank you again and thank you for being my friend.

    Much Love~Pattee

    ReplyDelete