Tuesday, March 9, 2010

New piece in progress....



I started work on this piece last week and thought I'd post some pictures before I begin the painting and costuming. Ever since seeing Patrick Woodroffe's 'elephant snails' many, many years ago, I've loved the idea of different kinds of creatures emerging from snail shells. That, and the fact that we are currently at war with the little blighters in our newly established vegetable garden, made me think about the kind of pest I'd welcome amongst the spinach leaves......a benign 'dragon snail' and an old faery taking his grand-faery for a leisurely crawl, perhaps bagging a few cherry tomatoes and pea-pods along the way.
It was important for me to establish the relationship between the three characters here - the love of the small faery for her grand-faery, the protectiveness of the grand-faery and the acceptance of the snail in bearing them along. I remember very clearly the wonderful feeling of falling asleep in the car on long drives home when I was a small child. This is the faery equivalent. It's uncomplicated emotion, but hopefully one that we can all relate to in some way.
Till next time.

15 comments:

  1. All i see here is love , tenderness, the little faery trust the grand one who trust the snail , like a family ... a chain : they need each other .... oh , it brings me a smile , it is only love ...

    Deeply touched by this piece of art !

    Congratulations Lorell !! An exemple and the good definition of what sharing is and what love is !!!
    I also love the position of the arms .....
    We say " confiance " et " tendresse " in french!! Thank you !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderfull! it all fits together perfectly...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lorell, this is wonderful!!! Can't wait to see more as you complete it. The faces on all three are absolutely precious!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful idea, this is going to be amazing when finished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the emotion in your pieces and this one is no exception. You inspire me to be better at what I do. Even in their unfinished state, they are beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous!!!!!!!! I love these 3~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Progress pictures are so much fun to view. It's like being able to be a part of the artist's creative day.

    Love the expressions, they each tell a part of the story :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thankyou all so much! I'm so happy with how this piece is progressing and to read your warm and positive comments tells me that I'm going in the right direction.

    Mary - it will be for sale when it's complete, but I already have two people in line and have to take things on a first come first served basis (it's always difficult with a more 'popular' piece, but I don't know how else to do it!). Besides, it's not finished yet and everyone might hate it when it is :)
    So looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks btw xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I find your blog so very lovely and therefore would like to give you a beautiful blogger award. Stop by my blog to take a look xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a darling piece.So happy and joyful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your characters. And oh, yes, I remember that feeling, falling asleep in the car. Driving home at night from Grandma and Grandpas...feeling all warm and safe with Dad driving...sleepy, drowzy noises from the hum outside.

    Your art is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful characters and expressions!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful, what a beatiful faces.
    I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. After seeing the finished piece first, it feels really cheeky to see them in their birthday suits. They brought a HUGE grin to my face, amazing!! By the way your chard in the other post looks delicious, I've wondered about the no dig method, looks like the way to go!!!

    ReplyDelete